Appraisal of ground water quality to estimate its appropriateness for farming uses
- 1Dept of IDE, CAET, DBSKKV, Dapoli, MS, India
- 2DBSKKV, Dapoli, MS, India
- 3Dept of SWCE, CAET, Rahuri, MS, India
- 4Dept of SWE, CTAE, Udaipur, Raj, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 21-24, May,2 (2018)
In Dapoli, Ground water had a specific significance where groundwater used as a primary supply of water utilized for consumption, household & farming. Water of the 15 wells was selected for study chemical characteristics. Analyzed data was used to conclude foremost result that is appraisal of appropriateness of groundwater for irrigation purpose. It was workout with the help of correlation among ground water quality factors viz, PI, Na%, TH, EC, SAR, KR, RSC, and TDS comparing with World Health Organization standard for drinking water. It shows that Mg, Na, HCO3, Ca, K and SO4 concentrations were lesser than the allowable limits among 90 per cent wells. According to TDS, ground water wells were categorized. Groundwater was appropriate for irrigation because TDS level was less than desirable in 96% of wells.
- Raja R.E., Lydia Sharmila, Princy Merlin and Chritopher G. (2002)., Physico-Chemical Analysis of Some Groundwater Samples of Kotputli Town Jaipur, Rajasthan, Indian., J Environ Prot., 22(2), 137.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (1996)., Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality., health criteria and other supporting information, 940-949.
- Meena B.S. and Bhargava N. (2012)., Physico-Chemical Characteristics Of Groundwater Of Some Villages Of Dag Block In Jhalawar District Of Rajasthan State (India)., Rasayan J Chem, 5(4), 438-444.
- Jain C.K, Kumar C.P. and Sharma M.K. (2003)., Ground Water Qualities of Ghataprabha Command Area Karnataka., Indian Journal Environ and Ecoplan, 7(2), 251-262.
- Karanth K.R. (1987)., Ground water Assessment, Development and Management., Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 720.
- Todd D. (1980)., Groundwater hydrology (2nd ed.)., New York: Wiley.
- Rao N.S. (2006)., Seasonal variation of groundwater quality in a part of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India., Environmental Geology, 49(3), 413-429.
- Wicox L.V. (1995)., Classification and Use of Irrigation Waters., US Department of Agriculture, Washington Dc, 19.
- Ragunath H.M. (1987)., Groundwater., Wiley Eastern Ltd, New Delhi, 563.
- Weihe G., Robert H.C., Bruce M.S. and Peter H.D. (1999)., Mapping submerged aquatic vegetation with GIS in the Caloosahatchee Estuary: evaluation of different interpolation methods., Marine Geodesy, 22(2), 69-91.
- Doneen L.D. (1964)., Water Quality for Agriculture., Department of Irrigation, University of Calfornia, Davis, 48.
- Narsimha A., Sudarshan V. and Swathi P. (2013)., Groundwater and Its Assessment for Irrigation Purpose in Hanmakonda Area, Warangal District, Andhra Pradesh, India., Int. J. Res. Chem. Environ, 3, 195-199.
- Szabolcs I. and Darab C. (1964)., The Influence of Irrigation Water of High Sodium Carbonate Content on Soils., In I. Szabolics (Ed.), Proc 8th International Congress Soil Science Sodics Soils, Res Inst Soil Sci Agric Chem Hungarian Acad Sci, ISSS Trans II, 802-812.
- Hem J.D. (1985)., Study and Interpretation of the Chemical Characteristics of Natural Water., USGS, Water Supply Paper, 264.
- Sawyer C.N. and McCarty P.L. (1967)., Chemistry of Sanitary Engineers., 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 518.
- Schoeller H. (1967)., Geochemistry of Ground Water., An International Guide for Research and Practice, UNESCO, 15, 1-18.
- Raman V. (1985)., Impact of corrosion in the conveyance and distribution of water., Jour. I.W.W.A, 15(11), 115-121.
- Mahadevaswamy G., Nagaraju D., Siddalingamurthy S., Lakshmamma lone M.S., Nagesh P.C. and Rao K. (2011)., Groundwater Quality Studies in Nanjangud Taluk, Mysore District, Karnataka, India., International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 1(7).
- Kurumbein W.C. and Graybill F.A. (1965)., An Introduction to Statistical Models in Geology., McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Patil V.T. and Patil P.R. (2010)., Physicochemical Analysis of Selected Groundwater Samples of Amalner Town in Jalgaon District, Maharashtra, India., E-Journal of Chemistry, 7(1), 111-116.