Impact of demographic characteristics on knowledge towards carbon foot print management in apartments of Bangalore city, India
- 1Department of Resource Management, Smt. V.H.D. Central Institute of Home Science, (Autonomous) Sheshadri Road, Bangalore-560001, India
- 2Department of Extension Education and Communication, Smt. V.H.D. Central Institute of Home Science, Bangalore-560001, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 7-13, May,2 (2018)
The word carbon foot print is highly termed in all social circles, among all individuals, communities, nations, research center's so as to be responsible and take action against the threat of global warming and climate change. Carbon foot print is the total emission of greenhouse gases and their accumulation which leads to climate change and effects environment. The present study focuses on carbon foot print of individuals on domestic level and their demographic characteristics on their knowledge level. The design of the study is Survey method. Purposive sampling method was used for sample selection. The total sample size comprising of 50 out of which 25 samples were chosen from residents who are living in conventional apartments and 25 samples were chosen from the residents living in eco friendly apartments. The questionnaire was developed to evaluate the knowledge of the respondents residing in two apartments. The questionnaire was used as a tool to measure 10 components. i. Environment ii. Waste Management iii. Water foot Print iv. Food Foot Print v. Energy Management vi. Reduce Reuse and Recycle vii. Indoor air Quality viii. Vaasthu aesthetics ix. Insulation x. Carbon foot print. Pre test assessment on Knowledge towards carbon foot print management on the aspects was done. Further the intervention program was carried using lecture modules and PPT for a period of 45 days. Post test was carried after the intervention program to obtain the knowledge assessment using the same questionnaire. The study found that 52% of the residents had moderate knowledge level during pre test. During post test the knowledge levels was Adequate, increased with 62.0%. The results subjected to variation in the knowledge level among the respondents between pre and post test found to be statistically significant (&
- Andrew J.E. (2008)., What is carbon footprint? An overview of definitions and methodologies., Vegetable Industry carbon footprint study - discussion papers and workshop, Horticulture Australia Limited, Sydney e-book India 1-2 ISBN -978-9814585-75-0.
- Ramachandra T.V. (2012)., Decentralised carbon footprint analysis for opting climate change mitigation strategies in India., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(8), 5820-5833.
- Ramachandra T.V., Aithal B.H. and Sreejith K. (2015)., GHG footprint of major cities in India., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 44, 473-495. ttp://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.12.036
- Weart Spencer R. (2014)., The Discovery of Global Warming., Harvard University Press II edition, E-publication, AIP China, P64.
- Xu X., Tan Y., Chen S., Yang G. and Su W. (2015)., Urban household carbon emission and contributing factors in the Yangtze River Delta, China., PloS one, 10(4), e0121604.7
- Mamady Keita (2016)., Factors Influencing Attitude, Safety Behavior, and Knowledge regarding household Waste Management in Guinea: A Cross-Sectional Study., Journal of Environmental and Public Health, 2016, Article ID 9305768. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/9305768
- Kumar M. and Nandini N. (2013)., Community attitude, perception and willingness towards solid waste management in Bangalore city, Karnataka, India., International journal of environmental sciences, 4(1), 87. Research article ISSN 0976 - 4402.
- Adogu P.O.U., Uwakwe K.A., Egenti N.B., Okwuoha A.P. and Nkwocha I.B. (2015)., Assessment of waste management practices among residents of Owerri Municipal Imo State Nigeria., Journal of Environmental Protection, 6(05), 446. doi: 10.4236/jep.2015.65043
- Haider A., Amber A., Ammara S., Mahrukh K.S. and Aisha B. (2015)., Knowledge, perception and attitude of common people towards solid waste management-A case study of Lahore, Pakistan., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences, 4(3), 100-107.
- Adeyemo F.O. and Gboyesola G.O. (2013)., Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on waste Management of People Living in the University area of Ogbomoso, Nigeri., International Journal of Environment, Ecology, 3(2), 51-56.
- Banga M. (2011)., Household knowledge, attitudes and practices in solid waste segregation and recycling: the case of urban Kampala., Zambia Social Science Journal, 2(1), 4.