Performance evaluation and adaptation trial of Tef genotypes for moisture stress areas of Borana, Southern Oromia
- 1Oromia Agricultural Research Institute, Yabello Pastoral and Dryland Agricultural Research Center, Yabello, Ethiopia
- 2Oromia Agricultural Research Institute, Yabello Pastoral and Dryland Agricultural Research Center, Yabello, Ethiopia
- 3Oromia Agricultural Research Institute, Yabello Pastoral and Dryland Agricultural Research Center, Yabello, Ethiopia
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 1-6, May,2 (2018)
Tef is one of the most important staple food crop in Ethiopia cultivated throughout the country. The field experiment was conducted at Yabello pastoral and dry land agricultural research center main site for three consecutive years. The experimental materials were brought from Debre-Zeit Agricultural Research center and planted with one local check in randomized complete block design (RCBD).The result of analysis revealed significant differences among genotypes in grain yield and biomass for all year under study. Tsedey was performed than other genotypes in 2011 cropping season in which low rainfall was recorded for the study area. Magna was performing well in study area relative to other genotypes in all cropping seasons except 2011 cropping season.
- Vavilov N.I. (1951)., The origin, variation, immunity and breeding of cultivated plants., LWW, 72(6), 482.
- Seyfu K. (1997)., Tef-Eragrostis tef (Zucc.)., Promoting the Conservation and Use of Underutilized and Neglected Crops. 12. Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research, Gatersleben (International Plant Genetic Resources Institute), Rome, Italy.
- Kebebew A., Getachew B., Hailu T., Yu J.K. and Sorrells M.E. (2009)., Breeding tef: conventional and molecular approaches., New approaches to plant breeding of orphan crops in Africa. Proceedings of an International Conference, Bern, Switzerland, 21-41.
- Gebremariam M.M., Zarnkow M. and Becker T. (2014)., Teff (Eragrostis tef) as a raw material for malting, brewing and manufacturing of gluten-free foods and beverages: a review., Journal of food science and technology, 51(11), 2881-2895.
- CSA (Central Statistical Agency) (2015)., Crop production forecast sample survey., 2015/16. Report on Area and Crop Production forecast for Major Crops (for private Peasant Holdings íMeherí season). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Yan Weikai and Kang Manjit S. (2002)., GGE biplot analysis: A graphical tool for breeders, geneticists, and agronomists., CRC.
- Schlichting C.D. (1989)., Phenotypic integration and environmental change., Bio Science, 39(7), 460.
- Hailu T. and Seyfu K. (2000)., Production and importance of tef in Ethiopia Agriculture., Hailu Tefera, Getachew Belay and Mark Sorrels (Ends) Narrowing the Rift: Tef research and development-Proceedings of the international Tef Genetics and improvement, 16-19.
- CSA (Central Statistical Agency) (2014)., Crop production forecast sample survey., 2014/15. Report on Area and Crop Production forecast for Major Crops (for private Peasant Holdings íMeherí season). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Girmay F.D. and Mekbib F. (2013)., Genetic Gain in Grain Yield Potential and Associated Traits of Tef [Eragrostis Tef (Zucc.) Trotter] in Ethiopia., Doctoral dissertation, Haramaya University.
- Ministry of Agriculture and rural development (2009)., Plant and animal health regulatory directorate., Crop Varity registry No 12, Addis Ababa Ethiopia.
- Kwanchai A.G. and Arturo A.G. (1984)., Statistical procedures for agricultural research., John Wailey et Sons: New York.
- Fentie M., Demelash N. and Jemberu T. (2012)., Participatory on farm performance evaluation of improved Tef (Eragrostis tef L) varieties in East Belessa, north western Ethiopia.,
- Chondie Y.G. and Bekele A. (2017)., Adaptability Evaluation and Selection of Improved Tef Varieties in Growing Areas of Southern Ethiopia., Hydrol Current Res, 8, 266. doi: 10.4172/2157-7587.1000266
- Plaza S., Cannarozzi G.M. and Tadele Z. (2013)., Genetic and phenotypic diversity in selected genotypes of tef [Eragrostis tef (Zucc.)] Trotter., African Journal of Agricultural Research, 8(12), 1041-1049.
- Aliyi K., Obsa Ch., Siyoum A. and Yeared T. (2016)., Adaptability Study of Tef Varieties at Mid Land Agro-ecologies of Guji Zone, Southern Oromia., Journal of Natural Sciences Research, 6(19), 124-126.