Assessment of alkaline content and heavy metals in some agro-waste obtained from Pauta farmlands, Kaduna State
- 1Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna, Nigeria
- 2Chemistry Department, Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 8, Issue (3), Pages 16-21, March,18 (2018)
The study was carried out to assess the level of heavy metals (Cd, Cr Mn, Fe, Zn,), alkali metals (K, Na, Ca) and potash (KOH, K2CO3) contents in Agro waste products produced in Pauta area of Igabi Local Government Area Kaduna north using Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS), Flame photometer and titrimetric methods. The mean concentrations determined across the samples were given as follows: For the beans Husk, groundnut husk, guinea corn husk, rice husk and millet husk, Mn (5.013-26.345 mg/kg), Fe (3.548-8.757 mg/kg), Zn (1.459-2.118 mg/kg), Cd (0.005-0.013 mg/kg), Pb (0.092-0.181 mg/kg), Cr (0.108-0.400 mg/kg). The mean concentrations of Mn, Fe and Cr obtained in the Agro waste samples were higher compared to the safety limits recommended by Food and Agricultural Organization/World Health Organization, (2006) with the exception of Zn and Cd which showed a lower level. The results for the concentration of trace elements in the samples varied between ranged Ca (40.711-80.265 mg/kg), K (1.3-8.9 mg/kg), and Na (2.5-5.3 mg/kg). It has been observed that groundnut husk (GHS) has higher concentration of calcium than its counterparts. All the Agro waste samples analysed for trace metals were below the limit recommended by Health Canada, (2006). The calculated percentage yield of KOH (43.62%) and K2CO3 (79.62%) in all the Agro waste products of were significant. Therefore, the results above obtained for all the parameters suggest that these Agro wastes products are safe for potash production and for related agricultural, domestic and industrial uses since the heavy metal and trace metal contents of most of the samples analysed are within acceptable or safe limit while the alkaline content is also rich enough.
- Caleb A.O. (2016)., Agricultural Waste., http://www.caslab.com/Agricultural_Waste_Meaning/ (Accessed 04/14/2016).
- Kadirvelu K. and Namasivayam C. (2003)., Activated carbon from coconut coirpith as metal adsorbent: adsorption of Cd (II) from aqueous solution., Advances in Environmental Research, 7(2), 471-478.
- Babayemi J.O. and Dauda K.T. (2009)., Evaluation of solid waste generation, categories and disposal options in developing countries: a case study of Nigeria., Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management, 13(3), 83-88.
- Adewuyi G.O., Obi-Egbedi N.O. and Babayemi J.O. (2008)., Evaluation of ten different African wood species for potash production., International Journal of Physical Sciences, 3(3), 63-68.
- Kevin M.D. (2003)., Projects from the Creation of Fire to the Production of Plastics., Universal Publisher, Australia, 35-37. ISBN: 978-83-54744-13-1
- Nwoko V.O. (1980)., Chemical processing development., Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, (NSCE`80), Nigeria, 40-53.
- Onyegbado C.O., Iyagba E.T. and Offor O.J. (2002)., Solid soap production using plantain peels ash as source of alkali., J. Applied Sci. Environ. Manage, 6(1), 73-77.
- Taiwo O.E. and Osinowo F.A.O. (2001)., Evaluation of various agro-wastes for traditional black soap production., Bioresource technology, 79(1), 95-97.
- Nigeria Galleria (2016). https://www.nigeriagalleria. com/Nigeria/States_Nigeria/Kaduna/Kaduna_State.html (Accessed 06/24/2016)., undefined, undefined
- Campbell C.R. and Plank C.O. (1998)., Preparation of plant tissue for laboratory analysis., Methods for Plant Analysis, 37-49.
- Ojokuku G.O. (2001)., Use of double indicator in acid base titration analysis of a mixture of NaOH and Na2CO3., Practical chemistry for schools and Colleges, 40-53. ISBN: 978-25-43648-11-1
- Keally D. and Haines G. (2002)., Instant Note Analytical Chemistry., Bios Scientific Publisher UK., 228-231.
- Elmer-Perkin C. (1997)., Instruction Manual, Model 52- A Flame Photometer (Glenbrook, Conn., 1948).,
- Zhang Y., Zhao J., Jiang Z., Shan D. and Lu Y. (2014)., Biosorption of Fe(II) and Mn(II) Ions from Aqueous Solution by Rice Husk Ash., Journal BioMed Research International, 25(2), 55-59.
- Health Canada (2006)., Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality: Guideline Technical Document.,
- Edem Christopher A., Iniama G., Osabor V., Etiuma R. and Ochelebe M. (2009)., A comparative evaluation of heavy metals in commercial wheat flours sold in Calabar-Nigeria., Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 8(5), 585-587.
- Okoye C.O.B., Odo I.S. and Odika I.M. (2009)., Heavy metals content of grains commonly sold in markets in south-east Nigeria., Plant Products Research Journal, 13(2), 119-228.
- FAO/WHO (2001)., Evaluation of certain food additives and contaminants (Fifty-fifth report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives)., WHO Technical Report Series, No. 901, 78.
- Yvette D. (2009)., Cadmium side effects (Online)., http://www.ehow.com Accessed 10/10/2016
- Salama A.K. and Radwan M.A. (2005)., Heavy metals (Cd, Pb) and trace elements (Cu, Zn) contents in some foodstuffs from the Egyptian market., Emirates journal of food and agriculture, 34-42.
- FAO/WHO (2006)., Evaluation of certain food additives and contaminants (Fifty-fifth report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives)., WHO Technical Report Series.
- Gottipolu R.R., Flora S.J. and Riyaz B. (2012)., Environmental Pollution-Ecology and human health: P., Narosa publishing house, New Delhi India, 166-223. ISBN: 978-932-74668-13-1
- Kotaś J. and Stasicka Z. (2000)., Chromium occurrence in the environment and methods of its speciation., Environmental pollution, 107(3), 263-283.
- Memon S.Q., Bhanger M.I. and Khuhawar M.Y. (2005)., Preconcentration and separation of Cr (III) and Cr (VI) using sawdust as a sorbent., Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry, 383(4), 619-624.
- Abia A.A. and Asuquo E.D. (2007)., Kinetics of Cd2+ and Cr3+ sorption from aqueous solutions using mercaptoacetic acid modified and unmodified oil palm fruit fibre (Elaeis guineensis) adsorbents., Tsinghua Science & Technology, 12(4), 485-492.
- Demirezen O. and Uruc k. (2006)., Comparative study of trace elements in certain fish, meat and meat products., Journal of Food Chemistry, 32(10), 215-222.
- Smith P.J., Blumenthal J.A., Babyak M.A., Craighead L., Welsh-Bohmer K.A., Browndyke J.N. and Sherwood A. (2010)., Effects of the dietary approaches to stop hypertension diet, exercise, and caloric restriction on neurocognition in overweight adults with high blood pressure., Hypertension, 55(6), 1331-1338.