In vitro antimicrobial assay of an alkaloid isolated from the leaves of Pterocarpus santalinus L.F.
- 1Department of Chemistry, Research scholar, JNTUA, Ananthapuramu-515001, Andhra Pradesh, India
- 2Retired-Senior Chemical Engineer, Oil Technological Research Institute, JNTUA, Anantapuramu - 515001, A.P., India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 10, Issue (2), Pages 46-52, June,18 (2020)
Due to the adverse side effects of extensive usage of synthetic drugs, people are turning towards natural medicines. Now-a-days, phytochemical studies on traditional therapeutic plants are acquiring significance. In this aspect a phytochemical screening was carried out on different solvent extracts of the leaves of Pterocarpus santalinus L.f., which is about to get endangered. Research studies on this plant revealed the presence of glycosides, alkaloids, flavonoids, phytosteroids and phenolic compounds. An alkaloid, 5-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine was isolated from the methanol (Me) extract by column chromatography. Its structure was confirmed by spectroscopic analysis. Its antimicrobial activity was tested against two pathogenic bacterial strains acquired from contaminated paneer (Indian Cheese) which were identified as Escherichia coli (gram -ve) and Staphylococcus aureus (gram +ve) bacteria. The compound expressed better antimicrobial potential against S.aureus than E.coli, with Maximum Inhibition Zone (MIZ) and Minimum Inhibition Concentration (MIC) values in the range of 1.5-2.0 cm and 0.5-1.0 mg/ml respectively.
- Rudd, V.E. (1991)., In a Revised Handbook of the Flora of Ceylon., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, pp 108-381.
- Arokiyaraj, S., Martin, S., Perinbam, K., Marie Arockianathan, P. and Beatrice, V. (2008)., Free radical scavenging activity and HPTLC finger print Pterocarpus santalinus L-an in vitro study., Indian J Sci Technol, 1(7), 1-3.
- Narayan, S., Devi, R.S. and Devi, C.S.S. (2007)., Role of Pterocarpus santalinus against mitochondrial dysfunction and membrane lipid changes induced by ulcerogens in rat gastric mucosa., Chem Biol Interac, 170(2), 67-75.
- Mukherejee, P.K., Maiti, K., Mukherejee, K. and Houghton, P.J. (2006)., Leads from Indian medicinal plants with hypoglycemic potentials., J Ethano pharmocol, 106(1), 1-28.
- Krishnaveni, K.S. and Srinivasa Rao, J.V. (2000)., An isoflavone from Pterocarpus santalinus., Phytochem, 53(5), 605-606.
- Kayser, O., Kiderlen, A.F. and Brun, B. (2001)., In vitro activity of aurones against Plasmodium falciparum strains K1 and NF54., Planta Med, 67(8), 718-721.
- Kameswara Rao, B., Giri, R., Kesavulu, M.M. and Apparao, C. (2001)., Effect of oral administatiton of bark extracts of Pterocarpus santalinus on blood glucose level in experimental animals., J Ethnopharmacol, 74(1), 69-74.
- Arokiyaraj, A. and Perinbam, K. (2010)., Antifungal Activity of Pterocarpus Santalinus an In Vitro Study., Biomed Pharmacol J, 3(1), 107-110.
- Manjunatha, B. K. (2006)., Hepatoprotective activity of Pterocarpus santalinus Lf, an endangered medicinal plant., Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 38(1), 25.
- Naredndra kumar. (1974)., Terpenoids of Pterocarpus santalinus heartwood., Phytochemistry, 13(3), 633 - 636.
- Krishnaveni, K.S. and Srinivasa Rao, J.V. (2000)., A new acylated Isoflavone glucoside from Pterocarpus santalinus., Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 48(9), 1373-1374.
- Cho, J.Y., Park, J., Kim, P.S., Yoo, E.S., Baik, K.U. and Park, M.H., (2001)., Savinin, a lignan from Pterocarpus santalinus inhibits tumor necrosis factor-alpha production and T cell proliferation., Biol Pharm Bull, 24(2), 167-171.
- Kesari, A.N., Gupta, R.K. and Geeta Watal. (2004)., Two aurone glycosides from heartwood of Pterocarpus santalinus., Phytochemistry, 65(23), 3125-3129.
- Shou-Fang Wu, Tsong-Long Hwang, Shu-Li Chen, Chin-Chung Wu, Emika Ohkoshi, Kuo-Hsiung Lee, Fang-Rong Chang and Yang-Chang Wu, (2011)., Bioactive components from the heartwood of Pterocarpus santalinus., Bioorg Med Chem Lett., 21(18), 5630-5632.
- Mohammad Azamthulla. (2016)., Isolation and characterisation of Pterocarpus santalinus heartwood extract., Scholars Research Library, Der Pharmacia Lettre, 8(12), 34-39.
- Raaman N. (2006)., Phytochemical techniques., New India Publishing Agency, India, 19-22.
- Barry, A. L. (1976)., The antimicrobic susceptibility test: principles and practices., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Jan Hudzicki. (2009)., Kirby - Bauer disk diffusion susceptibility test protocol., American Society for Microbiology.
- Vaishnavi, C., Singh, S., Grover, R. and Singh, K. (2001)., Bacteriological study of Indian cheese (paneer) sold in Chandigarh., Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, 19(4), 224-226.
- Bufotenine-SWG Drug, (2005)., Monographs Bufotenine., www.swgdrug.org > Monographs > Bufotenine.pdf; http://www.swgdrug.org/ Monographs / BUFOTENINE.pdf
- Stromberg, V.L. (1954)., The isolation of Bufotenine from Piptadenia peregrine., Journal of the American Chemical society, 76(6), 1707-1707.
- Michael, C., Bride, Mc. and Phr, B.S. (2000)., Bufotenine: towards an Understanding of possible psychoactive mechanisms., Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 32(3), 321-331.
- Part 1308- Section 1308.11 Schedule-I of controlled substances. (2017)., Diversion control division, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice., https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_1 1. htm
- Report (2015)., Amounts of prohibited drugs determining court of trial, Schedule-III. Misuse of Drugs Act 1981., Western Australia, pp-72.