Modified Regression-Cum-Dual to Ratio-Cum-Product Estimator under Double Sampling
- 1Department of Statistics, Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil, Nigeria
- 2Department of Mathematics, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, P.M.B. 2346, Sokoto, Nigeria
- 3State College of Basic and Remedial Studies, Sokoto, Nigeria
Res. J. Mathematical & Statistical Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 1-4, May,12 (2020)
Two estimators t*R1 and t*R2 for estimating finite population mean in double sampling are suggested. The existing estimator utilizes information on X and Z which can lead it to either over-estimation or under-estimation when they are weakly correlated with the study variable Y , that is, ρyx→0 and ρyz→0. To overcome the problem of over-estimation or under-estimation in existing estimator, sample means of the study variable of the estimator was transformed using linear regression technique leading two new estimators. The properties (Bias and MSE) of the suggested estimators were derived using Tailor’s series expansion. The empirical study conducted revealed that the new estimators out-performed other related existing estimators considered in the study.
- Neyman. J, (1938)., Contribution to the theory of sampling human populations., Journal of the American Statistical Association, 33, 101-116.
- Cochran, W.G. (1940)., The Estimation of the Yields of the Cereal Experiments by Sampling for the Ratio of Grain to Total Produce., The Journal of Agricultural Science, 30(2), 262-275.
- Murthy, M. N. (1967)., Sampling Theory and Methods., Statistical Publishing Society, Calcutta, India.
- Olkin, I. (1958)., Multivariate Ratio Estimation for Finite Population., Biometrika, 45, 154-165.
- Shabbir, J. and Gupta, S. (2007)., On Estimating the Finite Population Mean with Population Proportion of an Auxiliary Variable., Pakistan Journal of Statistics, 23, 1-9.
- Jhajj, H.S., Sharma, M.K. and Grover, L.K. (2006)., A Family of Estimator of Population Mean Using Information on Auxiliary Attributes., Pakistan Journal of Statistics, 22, 43-50.
- Handique. B. K (2012)., A Class of Regression-Cum-Ratio Estimators in Two - Phase Sampling for Utilizing Information From High Resolution Satellite Data., ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spat. Inf. Sci., I(4), 71-76.
- Adebola, F. B., Adegoke, N. A., & Sanusi, R. A. (2015)., A class of regression estimator with cum-dual ratio estimator as intercept., International Journal of Probability and Statistics, 4(2), 42-50.
- Amoyedo, F. E., & Adewara, A. A. (2019)., Improved Modified Ratio Estimator for Estimating Population Mean in Double Sampling Using Information on Auxiliary Attribute., Annals. Computer Science Series, 17(2).
- Singh, B. K., & Choudhury, S. (2012)., Double sampling product-cum-dual to ratio estimators for finite population mean in sample surveys., Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res, 3(4), 1-7.
- Singh. H and Espejo (2007)., Double Sampling Ratio-product Estimator of a Finite Population Mean in Sample Surveys., Journal of Applied Statistics, 34(1), 75-81. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.1080/02664760600994562.
- Kumar. M and Bahl. S. (2006)., Class of dual to ratio estimators for double sampling,, Statistical Papers, 47, 319-326.
- Sitter. R. R. (1997)., Variance estimation for the regression estimator in two-phase sampling., Journal of the American Statistical Association, 92(438), 780-787.
- Singh, H.P., Singh, R., Espejo, M.R., Pineda, M.D and Nadarajah, S. (2005)., On the efficiency of a dual to ratio-cum-product estimator in Sample surveys., Mathematical Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 105A(2), 51-56.
- Kadilar, C. and Cingi H. (2004)., Ratio Estimator in simple random sampling., Applied Mathematics and computation, 151(3), 893-902.
- Singh R. and Kumar M. (2011)., A family of estimators of population variance using information on auxiliary attribute. Studies in sampling techniques and time series analysis., Zip Publishing, 63-70.
- Steel, R. G. D. and Torrie, J. H. (1960)., Principles and Procedures of Statistics., McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- Johnston, J., (1972)., Econometric methods (2nd edn.)., McGraw-Hill Book Co., Tokyo.
- Singh, M. P. (1969)., Comparison of some ratio-cum-product estimators., Sankhya Series B, 31, 375-378.