Application of MATLAB to predict the physical quality parameters of Rimming Steel Ingot
- 11Bhiai Steel Plant, SAIL, Bhili, CG, India
- 2RDCIS, SAIL, Bhili, CG, India
- 3JNTU, Hyderabad, Bhili, CG, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 36-44, March,26 (2016)
Rimming steel is the low Carbon (C ) steel mainly used for producing Electrode quality wire rods and Buss-bars for Metro rail etc. Rimming grade steel is only casted through ingot teeming route.Rimming steel consists low Carbon ~0.08-0.09% and Manganese (Mn) 0.40-0.50%. Rim thickness and Rimming duration are the main physical quality parameters of a rimming steel ingot. They mainly depend on the contents of C, Mn in the cast steel. Rimming Steel is a grade which contains high oxygen (ppm) level in bath ~1000-1200 and ~225-275 in ladle after tapping. The recovery of alloys decrease with increase in oxygen level in liquid metal and this higher level of residual oxygen in the bath makes the Mn recovery varies much. The percentage of Mn and oxygen level in ladle have significant effect on rimming duration and rim thickness of the ingot teemed. A study has been carried out, analyzing the practical data, to predict the relation between these physical parameters and quality using MATLAB application.
- Morozov A.N. (1961)., The modern open hearth process., Sverdlovsk.Yawata Iron & Steel Co. Ltd. (1967). 37th Steel making sub-committee materials.
- Banerjee S.K., Mukherjee T. and Ghosh A. (1983)., Oxygen absorption during solidification of Rimming steel ingots., Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals, 36(6).
- Mulhauser R.S. and Hargreaves D.G. (1970)., De-oxidation of Rim and Cap Steel using bath Oxygen analysis, Open Hearth Proceedings 1970.
- Tupkary R.H. and Tupkary V.R. (2000)., An introduction to modern steelmaking., Modern steelmaking