Tracing the effect of a widely used surfactant on Channa punctatus (Bloch)
- 1Department of Zoology, Sreegopal Banerjee College, Magra Hooghly, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 44-49, May,22 (2018)
Assessment of environmental parameters is considered as a vital source of information in community health and management of toxic contaminants. Metals, pesticides, and other xenobiotics are potent pollutants which creates serious threats directly to various aquatic species and subsequently causes harm to other land dwelling organisms as well. Aquatic pollution has become a major pricking issue nowadays because this not only creates problems to the aquatic organisms directly but also causes threats to the fish consuming human community. Each and every organism has to depend on water for survival. But since the inception of civilization and advent of industrialization human has almost single handedly polluted water bodies by discharging industrial and house hold harmful chemicals in an ever increasing manner. Detergents are one of the topmost contaminants among all the chemicals released daily into the water bodies, both by industry and household. They are mostly made of surfactants which in turn may be of different types. Surfactants basically reduce surface tension between two liquids or between solid and liquid etc. Ammonium lauryl sulphate is one of such widely used surfactant in hand-wash and shampoo. The present study revealed the effects of Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate on several important water quality assessment parameters such as, pH, dissolved oxygen content and free carbon dioxide etc. Some physiological and histological parameters were also investigated on Channa sp. after exposing them into surfactant containing water and many of the parameters were found to differ from that of the unexposed individuals.
- Ruiswell R.E., Brimblecombe P., Deut D.L. and Liss P.S. (1992)., Environmental Chemistry, the Earth-Air Water Factory., Edward Arnold, Great Britain.
- Ibrahima H.M. and Saleha R.A. (2001)., Impaired functions in Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1757), from polluted waters., Acta hydrochim. hydrobiol, 29(5), 278-288.
- Adewoye S.O., Fawole O.O., Owolabi O.D. and Omotosho J.S. (2005)., Toxicity of cassava wastewater effluents to African catfish: Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822)., SINET: Ethiopian Journal of Science, 28(2), 189-194.
- Ogundiran M.A., Fawole O.O., Adewoye S.O. and Ayandiran T.A. (2009)., Pathologic lesions in the gills of Clarias gariepinus exposed to sublethal concentrations of soap and detergent effluents., J. Cell Animal Biol., 3(5), 078-082.
- Farkas A., Salanki J. and Specziar A. (2002)., Relation between growth and the heavy metal concentration in organs of bream Abramis brama L. populating lake Balaton., Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 43(2), 236-243.
- Kundu S., Debnath S., Mondol T. and Mukherjee M. (2016)., A brief study on the effects of a common household detergent on Oreochromis sp., Int. Res. J. Env. Sci., 5(5), 41-47.
- Winkler L.W. (1888)., Die Besimmung desd in Wassergelosten Sauerstoffen., Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft, 21, 2843-2855.
- Trinder P. (1969)., Determination of blood glucose using an oxidase-peroxidase system with a non-carcinogenic chromogen., J. Clin. Pathol., 22(2), 158-161.
- Slein M.W. (1965)., D-Glucose: Determination with Hexokinase and Glucose-6-phosphate Dehydrogenase., Met. Enz. Anal., 117-130.
- Eduard S., Wolfgang R., Eric S., Wilfried R., Josef S., Frederike W. and Anette N. (2002)., Laundry Detergents., Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim.
- Foster N.R., Scheier A. and Carins J.J. (1996)., Effect of ABS on feeding behavior of flag fish Jordanella floridae., Trans. Am. Fisheries Soc., 95, 109-110.
- Okwuosa V.N. and Omeregie E. (1995)., Acute toxicity of alkyl benzene sulphate (ABS) detergent to the toothed carp Aphyosemion gairdneri (L.)., Aquaculture Res., 26, 755-758.
- Camp B. (2002). July/August Letter to the Editor in Stormwater., undefined, undefined
- Campbell C.G., Borglin S.E., Green B.F., Grayson A., Wozei E. and Stringfellow W.T. (2006)., Biologically directed environmental monitoring, fate, and transport of estrogenic endocrine disrupting compounds in water: A review., Chemosphere, 65(8), 1265-1280.
- wang y., zhang y., li x., sun m., wei z., wang y. and feng x. (2015)., exploring the effects of different types of surfactants on zebrafish embryos and larvae., scientific reports, 5, 10107.
- Benjamin M. (2002)., Water Chemistry., McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Carter K. (2005)., The Effects of Dissolved Oxygen on Steelhead Trout, Coho Salmon, and Chinook Salmon Biology and Function by Life Stage., California Regional Water Quality Control Board, North Coast Region.
- EPA. (1986)., Quality Criteria for Water., Washington DC: Office of Water Regulations and Standards.
- Fish U.S. and Wildlife Service (1982)., Habitat Suitability Index Models: Bluegill., Biological Services Program, U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Fish U.S. and Wildlife Service (1982)., Habitat Suitability Index Models: Largemouth Bass., Biological Services Program: U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Baumann H., Talmage S.C. and Gobler C.J. (2011)., Reduced early life growth and surviaval in a fish in direct response to increased carbon dioxide., Nature climate change (Letters), 2, 38-41.
- De Souza P.C. and Bonilla-Rodriguez G.O. (2007)., Fish hemoglobins., Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, 40(6), 769-778.
- Van Vuren J.H.J. (1986)., The effects of toxicants on the haematology of Labeo umbratus (Teleostei: Cyprinidae)., Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part C., 83(1), 155-159.
- Silbergeld E.K. (1974)., Blood glucose: A sensitive indicator of environmental stress in fish., Bul. of Env. Cont. Toxicol., 11(1), 20-25.
- Thomas D., Cherest H. and Surdin-Kerjan Y. (1991)., Identification of the structural gene for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in yeast. Inactivation leads to a nutritional requirement for organic sulfur., The EMBO Journal, 10(3), 547-553.
- Hadi A.A. and Alwan S.F. (2012)., Histopathological changes in gills. Liver and kidney of fresh water fish, Tilapia Zilli, exposed to aluminium., Int. J. of Pharm & Life Sci., 3(11), 2071-2081.
- Hibiya T. (1982)., An Atlas of Fish Histology: Normal and Pathological Features., Kodansha (Ltd.), Japan.
- Mukherjee S. and Bhattacharya S. (1975)., Hitopathological Lesions in the hepatopancreas of fishes exposed to industrial pollutants., Indian J. of Exp. Biol., 13, 571-573.
- Pacheco M. and Santos M.A. (2002)., Biotransformation, genotoxic and histopathological effects of environmental contaminants in Europian el, Anguilla Anguilla L., Ectotoxicol and Env. Safety, 53, 331-347.
- Biswas A., Kundu S., Roy S., De J., Pramanik M. and Ray A.K. (2006)., Thyroid hormone profile during annual reproductive cycle of diloid and triploid catfish, Heteropneustes fossilis (Bloch)., Gen. & Comp. Endocrinol., 147(2), 126-132.
- Roberts J.R. (1978)., The pathophysiology and systematic pathology of teleosts., Fish Pathol. Bailliere Tindall, London, 67-70.
- Vesela Y., Velcheva I., Stoyanova S. and Georgieva E. (2015)., Fish in Ecotoxicological Studies., Ecologia Balkanica, 7(1), 149-169.