Green synthesis and antimicrobial activity of the silver nano-particles from crude extract of Bergenia ciliata
- 1Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (6), Pages 28-29, June,10 (2019)
Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) are particular interest because of its strong and wide spectrum of antimicrobial activity which might act as a novel bactericide to solve the serious antibiotic resistance problem. It is because of effectiveness in synthesis of the nanoparticles. This study has been designed for the synthesis of green silver nanoparticles also to study the antimicrobial activity. Methanol extracts of plant leaves was prepared using the maceration and were used for the synthesis of silver naoparticles. Bergenia ciliata silver nano particles found to be more effective against various pathogenic bacterial strain as compared to Bergenia ciliata extracts. The synthesized Bergenia ciliata silver nanoparticles showed increased antimicrobial activity. These results have supported greater advantage of use of bio-green methods for preparation of nanoparticles which have greater potential against antimicrobial activitiy.
- Sondi I. and Salopek-Sondi B. (2004)., Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria., J. Colloid Interface Sci., 275, 177-182.
- Xia D., Luob X., Ninga Q., Lud Q., Yaod K. and Liud Z. (2007)., The detection of HBV DNA with gold nanoparticle gene probes., J. Nanjing Med. Univ, 21, 207-212.
- Bhumkar D.R., Joshi H.M., Sastry M. and Pokharkar V.B. (2007)., Chitosan reduced gold nanoparticles as novel carriers for transmucosal delivery of insulin., Pharmaceutical research, 24(8), 1415-1426.
- Mazhar-Ul-Islam I.A., Mazhar F., Usmanghani K. and Gill M.A. (2002)., Evaluation of antibacterial activity of Bergenia ciliata., Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 15(2), 21-27.
- Rajkumar V., Guha G., Kumar R.A. and Mathew L. (2010)., Evaluation of antioxidant activities of Bergenia ciliata rhizome., Rec. Nat. Prod., 4(1), 38-48.
- Saha S. and Verma R.J. (2013)., Inhibition of calcium oxalate crystallization in vitro by an extract of Bergenia ciliate., Arab. J. Urol., 11(2), 187-192.
- Sinha S., Murugesan T., Pal M. and Saha B.P. (2001)., Evaluation of anti-tussive activity of Bergenia ciliata Sternb. rhizome extract in mice., Phytomedicine, 8(4), 298-301.
- Gehlot D. and Bohra A. (2000)., Antibacterial effect of some leaf extracts on Salmonella typhi., Indian J. Med. Sci., 54(3), 102-105.
- Dhalwal K., Shinde V.M., Biradar Y.S. and Mahadik K.R. (2008)., Simultaneous quantification of bergenin, catechin, and gallic acid from Bergenia ciliata and Bergenia ligulata by using thin layer chromatography., J. Food Comp. Anal., 21(6), 496-500.
- Zargar M., Hamid A.A., Bakar F.A., Shamsudin M.N., Shameli K., Jahanshiri F. and Farahani F. (2011)., Green synthesis and antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles using Vitex negundo L., Molecules, 16(8), 6667-6676.
- Ruparelia J.P., Chatterjee A.K., Duttagupta S.P. and Mukherji S. (2008)., Strain specificity in antimicrobial activity of silver and copper nanoparticles., Acta Biomater., 4(3), 707-716.
- Feng Q.L., Wu J., Chen G.O., Cui F.Z., Kim T.N. and Kim J.O. (2000)., A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus., J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 52(4), 662-668.