Potentiation of crop seeds under ambient storage condition
- 1Department of Botany, Saldiha College (Affiliated to Bankura university), Saldiha-722 173, Bankura, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (11), Pages 33-34, November,10 (2019)
Deterioration of seed is a natural catabolic process which results in serious impairment of seed viability and consequent termination of life span of the seed. This may because of some pathogenic attack or by adverse environmental conditions. Retention of vigour and viability of seeds in tropical and subtropical countries like India is a matter of serious concern to the crop growers because of high temperature and high relative humidity (RH) prevailing in major parts of the country almost throughout the year. The present study is to find out the effective method to enhance the storage life of crop seed species having viability problems.
- Heydecker W. (1972)., Viability of Seeds., Chapman and Hall Ltd., London, 209-252.
- Delouche J.C. and Baskin C.C. (1973)., Accelerated ageing techniques for predicting the relative storability of seed lots., Seed Sci. & Technol., 1, 427-452.
- Halder S., Koley S. and Gupta K. (1983)., On the mechanism of sunflower seed deterioration under two different types of accelerated ageing., Seed Sci. Technol., 11, 331-339.
- Basu R.N. (1994)., An appraisal of research on wet and dry physiological seed treatment and their applicability with special reference to tropical and subtropical countries., Seed Science and Technology, 22, 107-126.
- Copeland L.O. and McDonald M.B. (2001)., Principles of Seed Sc. and Technol., (4th edn.), Norwell, Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, USA.
- Tang S., TeKrony D.M., Egli D.B. and Correlius P. (2000)., An alternative model to predict corn seed deterioration during storage., Crop Science, 40, 463-470.
- Nicolos G., Bradford K.J., Come D. and Pritchard H.W. (2003)., The Biology of Seeds: Recent Research Advances., CABI Publishing, UK.
- Nandi P.K. and Kanth G.K. (2004)., Scenario of pulses in India: an econometric approach., Journal of Interacademicia, 8, 248-257.
- Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2017)., Storage Potentiation of a pea seed species under accelerated ageing condition., International Journal on Agricultural Sciences, 28(1), 30-34.
- Chandan Kumar P., Bhattacharjee A., Roy P., Mahanty D. S. and Panda S. (2018)., Chemical-induced seed germination and enhancement of seed potential of seven wild plant taxa of Ericaceae in India., World Scientific News, 114, 249-255.
- Richa and Sharma M.L. (2003)., Role of exogenously applied plant growth regulators in enhancing the viability of Cepholostachyum pergracile Munro seeds at various intervals of seed ageing., Indian. Indian J. Plant Physiol., Special Issue, 236-239.
- Hao Y.J., Liu Q.L. and Deng X.X. (2001)., Effect of cryopreservation on apple genetic resources at morphological, chromosomal and molecular levels., Cryobiology, 43, 46-53.
- Reed B.M. (2001)., Implementing cryogenic storage of clonally propagated plants., CryoLetters, 22, 97-104.
- International Seed Testing Association (1976)., International Rules for Seed Testing., Seed Sci. & Technol., 4, 51-177.
- Sarangthem K. and Sarangthem I. (2006)., Effect of salicylic acid on enzymes of nitrogen metabolism during germination of Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper., Environment and Ecology, 24, Spl., 8-9.
- Srimathi P. and Sujatha K. (2005)., Improvement in seed germination by chemical hardening in black gram., Legume Research, 28(4), 311-312.
- Bhattacharjee A. (2001)., Influence of growth retardant and a volatile oil and enhancement of storage longevity of two low vigour seed species., Journal of National Botanical Society, 55, 55-61.
- Pati C.K. and Bhattacharjee A. (2013)., Chemical Manipulation for Storage Potentiation of Crop Seeds., LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (ISBN: 978-3-659-38761-6), Germany.
- Sakai A., Matsumoto T., Hirai D. and Niino T. (2000)., Newly development encapsulation-dehydration protocol for plant cryopreservation., CryoLetters, 21, 53-62.
- Sundararaj D.D. and Thulasidas G. (1993)., Botany of Field Crops (2nd edn.)., Macmillan India Ltd., New Delhi, India.