Phytochemical screening and chemical composition of fixed oil from seed of Abroma augusta
- 1Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Islamic University, Kushtia-7003, Bangladesh
- 2Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Islamic University, Kushtia-7003, Bangladesh
- 3Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Islamic University, Kushtia-7003, Bangladesh
- 4Senior Scientific Officer, Chemical Research Division, BCSIR Laboratories, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
- 5Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Islamic University, Kushtia-7003, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (11), Pages 29-32, November,10 (2019)
Abroma augusta is one of the most important medicinal plant under Sterculiaceae family. All the parts of this plant used as folk medicine from ancient time for various treatments. The present study attempts to evaluate the phytochemicals and fatty acids composition from seeds of Abroma augusta. The presence of some phytochemicals like alkaloids, flavonoids and saponins strongly support the medicinal use of the plant. The compositions of fatty acids from the seed extract of Abroma augusta were identified by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrophotometer. Four fatty acids were found and they are methyl palmitate, methyl stearate, oleic acid and methyl linoleatte. Methyl linoleatte showed the highest concentration (72.61%) among all the fatty acids found in the seed of Abroma augusta.
- Edeoga H.O., Okwu D.E. and Mbaebie B.O. (2005)., Phytochemical constituents of some Nigerian medicinal plants., African J. Biotech., 4(7), 685-688.
- Olaemi F.F. (2011)., Phytochemical, proximate and nutrient analysis of cassia tora seeds., Adv. J. Food Sci. Tech., 3(4), 233-237.
- Shanta Z.S., Rupa E.J., Aziz S., Begum H.A. and Al-Reza S. M. (2018)., Studies on terminalia bellirica seed for proximal composition, mineral analysis and phytochemical screening., World J. Pharm. Life Sci., 4(2), 120-126.
- Mandal V., Mohan Y. and Hemalatha S. (2007)., Microwave assisted extraction-An innovative and promissing extraction tool for medicinal plant research., Pharmacog. Rev., 1, 7-18.
- Misra A. (2009)., Studies on biochemical and physiological aspects in relation to phytomedicinal qualities and efficacy of the active ingredients during the handling, cultivation and harvesting of the medicinal plants., J. Med. Plants Res., 3, 1140-1146.
- Ayeni M.J., Obeyemi S.M., Kayode J. and Peter G.P. (2015)., Phytochemical, Proximate and Mineral Analysis of the leaves of Gossypium hirusutum L. and Momordica charantia L., J. Natural Sci. Res., 5(5).
- Kirtikar R. and Basu B.D. (1980)., I.C.S, Indian medicinal plants, 2nd edition., Dehra Dun Bishen Sing Mahendra Pal Sing Publisher, 863-864.
- Fatima S., Zaman R., Haider N., Shamsi S. and Alam A. (2017)., Design and development of Unani anti-inflammatory cream., Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 8(3), 140-144.
- Gupta B., Nayak S. and Solanki S. (2011)., Abroma augusta Linn f: A review., Der Pharmacia Sinica, 2(4), 253-261.
- Aminabee S.K. and Lakshmana R. (2012)., A Plant Review of Cassia Sophera Linn., Int. J. Pharma. Chem. Bio. Sci., 2(3), 408-414.
- Griffin R.C. (1960)., ASTM, technical method of Analysis, 2nd edition., McGraw-Hill Co. Inc Publication, New York and London.
- American Oil Chemists, Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists, Illinois: 1973, revised to 1990.
- Harbone J.B. (1973)., Phytochemicals methods., Chapman and Hall, London publications, 113.
- Harbone J.B. (1973)., Phytochemicals methods., A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis, Chapman and Hall, London Publications, 49-188.
- Bohm A.B. and Kocipai A.C. (1994)., Flavonoid and condensed tannin from leaves of Hawaiin Vaccinium Vaticlm and Vicalcinium., Pacific Sci., 48, 458-463.
- Akinpelu D.A. and Onakoya T.M. (2006)., Antimicrobial activities of medicinal plants used in folklore remedies in South-Western Nigeria., J. Biotech., 5(11), 1078-1081.
- Ngbede J., Yakubu R.A. and Nyam D.A. (2008)., Phytochemical screening for active compounds in Canarium schweinfurthii (Atile) leaves from Jos North, Plateau State, Nigeria., Res J Biol Sci, 3(9), 1076-1078.
- Frankel E. (1995)., Nutritional benefits of flavonoids., International Conference on Food Factors: Chemistry and Cancer Prevention. Hamamatsu, 2-6.
- Evans W.C. (2002)., Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy., 15th edition, Elsevier, India, 27(46), 183-184, 289- 291, 411-413, 434, 485-486.
- Adeyeye E.I. (2002)., Determination of the chemical composition of the nutritionally valuable parts of male and female common West African fresh water crab Sudananautes africanus africanus., International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 53(3), 189-196.