Haemocytobiochemical and morphometrical profile of three striped Indian palm squirrel Funambulus palmarum (Linnaeus, 1766) with respective to sex
- 1Postgraduate Department of Zoology, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar -751 004, Odisha, India
- 2Postgraduate Department of Zoology, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar -751 004, Odisha, India
- 3Postgraduate Department of Zoology, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar -751 004, Odisha, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (11), Pages 1-8, November,10 (2019)
The objective of this study was to investigate and establish the standard reference value of haematological parameters in squirrels. Blood was aseptically drawn from five individuals of each sex and was taken for haematological analyses. The mean values of haemoglobin (Hb), Packed Cell Volume (PCV), Total Erythrocyte Count (TEC), Total Leukocyte Count (TLC), Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV), Mean Corpuscular Haemoglobin, and Mean Corpuscular Haemoglobin Concentration (MCHC) were calculated. Along with this, the serum biochemical parameters like total protein, albumin, globulin, glucose, and cholesterol were found out and each parameter was expressed as mean±SE of both the sexes of animal. The differential leucocyte number of each category of cell (lymphocytes, monocytes, neutrophils, eosinophils, and basophils) was enumerated. In morphometrical analyses, the cell length and breadth along with the nucleus of erythrocytes, lymphocytes, monocytes, neutrophils, basophils, and eosinophils were also measured. Considering both haematobiochemical and cytomorphometrical aspects, various angles are interpreted.
- Olafedehan C.O., Obun A.M. and Yusuf M.K. (2010)., Effects of residual cyanide in processed cassava peal meals on haematological and biochemical indices of growing rabbits., Proceedings of 35th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society for Animal Production. 212.
- Isaac L.J., Abah G., Akpan B. and Ekaette I.U. (2013)., Haematological properties of different breeds and sexes of rabbits., Proceedings of the 18th Annual Conference of Animal Science Association of Nigeria, 24-27.
- Doyle D. and William H. (2006)., The father of hematology., Br J Haematol, 133(4), 375-381.
- Aderemi F.A. (2004)., Effects of replacement of wheat bran with cassava root sieviate supplemented or unsupplemented with enzyme on the haematology and serum biochemistry of pullet chicks., Trop. J. Anim. Sci, 7(1), 147-153.
- Togun V.A., Oseni B.S.A., Ogundipe J.A., Arewa T.R., Hammed A.A., Ajonijebu D.C., Oyeniran A., Nwosisi I. and Mustapha F. (2007)., Effects of chronic lead administration on the haematological parameters of rabbits – a preliminary study., Proceedings of the 41st Conferences of the Agricultural Society of Nigeria, 341.
- Levi A., Perelman B., Waner T., Van Grevenbroek M., Van Creveld C. and Yagil R. (2000)., Haematological parameters of the ostrich (Struthio camelus)., Avian. Pathol., 18, 321-327.
- Jain N.C. (1998)., Essentials of Veterinary Hematology., (Second Edittion), Lea and Febiger; Philadelphia (USA), 65-68.
- Romdhane Z.B., Tounsi H., Hadj-Sassi A., Hadj-Taieb N. and Gargouri A. (2013)., The constitutive production of pectinase by the CT1 mutant of Penicillium occitainis is modulated by pH., Applied biochemistry and biotechnology, 169(1), 215-227.
- Campbell T.W. (1995)., Avian Hematology., In: Campbell TW, editor, Avian Hematology and Cytology, 2nd edn. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa., 3-19.
- Perrie P.P. and Watson P. (1999)., Statistics for Veterinary and Animal Science., Blackwell, UK, 16-27.
- Ugwuene M.C. (2011)., Effect of Dietary Palm Kernel Meal for Maize on the Haematological and Serum Chemistry of Broiler Turkey., Trop. J. Anim. Sci., 13, 93-103.
- Soetan K.O., Akinrinde A.S. and Ajibade T.O. (2013)., Preliminary studies on the haematological parameters of cockerels fed raw and processed guinea corn (Sorghum bicolor)., Proceedings of 38th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society for Animal Production, 49-52.
- Omiyale C.A., Yisa A.G. and Ali-Dunkrah L.A. (2012)., Haematological characteristics of Yankasa sheep fed fonio (Digitaria iburua) straw based diets., Proceedings of 37th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society for Animal Production, 87-89.
- Purves W.K., Sadava D. and Orians G.H. (2003)., Life: The Science of Biology, University of Washington., USA, 7th ed, 954.
- Peters S.O., Gunn H.H. and Imumorin I.G. (2010)., Haematological studies on frizzled and naked neck genotypes of Nigerian native chickens., Trop. Anim. Health. Prod., 43(3), 631-638.
- Awodi S., Ayo J.O., Atodo A.D. and Dzende T. (2005)., Some haematological parameters and the erythrocyte osomotic fragility in the laughing dove (Streptopella senegalensis) and the village weaner bird (Ploceus cucullatus)., Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference of Animal Science Association of Nigeria, 384-387.
- Chineke C.A., Ologun A.G. and Ikeobi C.O.N. (2006)., Haematological parameters in rabbit breeds and crosses in humid tropics., Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 9(11), 2102-2106.
- Aroch I., King R. and Biton B. (2017)., Haematology and serum chemistry of three trapped five Stripped palm squirrel (Funambulus pennanti)., Isr. J. Vet. Med., 72(2), 28-39.
- Etim N.N., Williams M.E., Akpabio U. and Offiong E.E. (2014)., Haematological parameters and factors affecting their values., Agricultural Science, 2(1), 37-47.