Embryonic and larval development of mirror carp (Cyprinuscarpio var. specularis)
- 1Department of Fisheries, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh
- 2Department of Fisheries, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh
- 3Department of Fisheries, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh
- 4Department of Fisheries, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh
- 5Department of Fisheries, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (6), Pages 1-8, June,10 (2018)
Embryonic and larval development stages of Mirror carp, Cyprinuscarpio var. specularis were studied at Fish seed multiplication farm, Puthia, Rajshahi, Bangladesh from November 2016 to April 2017. Brood fishes (body weight 2.5-3kg and 1.2-1.5kg, for male and female, respectively) were collected from the hatchery pond, and two separate dozes of pituitary hormone were used for induction of reproductive. Spawning occurred between 8-8.5h after the 2nd injection. The fertilized eggs were adhesive, round in shape and yellowish to whitish in color and its diameter was 1.10±0.02mm. The stages of embryonic development observed with zygote, followed by cleavage, early morula, blastula, gastrula, segmentation, pharyngula and until hatching. After 45min of fertilization first cleavage was observed, whereas two cells, four cells, eight cells, and sixteen cells stages were found after 45min, 60min, 90min, and 2h of fertilization, respectively. The early morula, blastula, gastrula, segmentation and pharyngula stages were visualized after 3, 7, 10, 13, 22h of fertilization, respectively. Hatching observed after 47h of fertilization and newly hatched larva measured 2.5±0.03 mm in total length. Larval development was observed until 2 days after hatching. Yolk sac was greatly reduced 2days after hatching and the larvae started swimming freely. The study concluded that embryonic developmental cycle completed onset of fertilization within 44.5h and larval developmental cycles completed from onset of hatching within 2 days.
- Samad M.A., Khatun A., Reza M.S., Asrafuzzaman M. and Ferdaushy M.H. (2016)., Effects of stocking density on growth, survival and production of mirror carp (Cyprinuscarpio var. specularis) spawn in nursery pond., Asian J. Med. Biol. Res., 2(3), 429-435.
- Islam S.S., Azam M.G., Adhikary S.K. and Wickramarachchi K.S. (2004)., Efficiency of Integrated Rice, Fish and Duck Polyculture as Compared to Rice and Fish Culture in a Selective Area of Khulna District, Bangladesh., Pakistan J. Biol. Sci., 7(4), 468-471.
- Nica A., Cristea V., Gheorghe D., Hoha G.V. and Enache I.B. (2012)., Embryonic and larval development of Japanese ornamental carp Cyprinuscarpio (Linnaeus, 1758)., SeriaZootehnie, 58, 116-120.
- Koumoundouros G., Divanach P. and Kentouri M. (2001)., Osteological development of DentexdentexK (Osteichthyes: Spraidae): Dorsal, anal, paired fins and squamation., Marine Biol., 138(2), 399-406.
- Borçato F.L., Bazzoli N. and Sato Y. (2004)., Embriogenesis and larval ontogeny of the\" piau-gordura\", Leporinus piau (Fowler) (Pisces, Anostomidae) after induced spawning., Revista Brasileira de Zoologia, 21(1), 117-122.
- Rahman M.R., Rahman M.A., Khan M.N. and Hussain M.G. (2004)., Observation on the embryonic and larval development of Silurid catfish, Gulsha (Mystuscavasius)., Pakistan J. Biol. Sci., 7(6), 1070-1075.
- Honji R.M., Tolussi C.E., Mello P.H., Caneppele D. and Moreira R.G. (2012)., Embryonic development and larval stages of Steindachneridion parahybae (Siluriformes: Pimelodidae) - implications for the conservation and rearing of this endangered Neotropical species., Neotrop. Ichthyol., 10(2), 313-327.
- Mahapatra B.K. and Krishna G. (2016)., Embryonic and larval development of Rasboradaniconius (Hamilton): A potential indigenous ornamental fish of north-east India., Int. J. Fish. Aqua. Stud., 4(6), 187-190.
- Basak S.K., Basak B., Gupta N., Haque M.M. and Amin M.R. (2014)., Embryonic and larval development of Silver barb (Barbodesgonionotus) in a mobile hatchery under laboratory condition., European Sci. J., 3, 258-270.
- Ghosh A.K., Biswas S., Sarder L., Sabbir W. and Rahaman S.M.B. (2012)., Induced breeding, embryonic and larval development of Koi carp (Cyprinuscarpio) in Khulna, Bangladesh.Mesopot., J. Mar. Sci., 27(1), 1-14.
- Mollah M.F.A., Taslima K., Rashid H., Hossain Z., Sarowar M.N. and Khan M.R.K. (2011)., Embryonic and larval development of critically endangered riverine catfish Rita rita., Eurasia J.Biosci., 5, 110-118.
- Miah M.I., Harun M.S., Rahman M.M., Haque M.R. and Hossain M.A. (2009)., Study on the embryonic and larval development of an endangered species of Bata (Labeobata)., Int. J.Susta.Crop.Produ., 4(1), 72-82.
- Rahman M.M., Miah M.I., Taher M.A. and Hasan M.M. (2009)., Embryonic and larval development of Guchibaim, Mastacembeluspancalus (Hamilton)., J. Bangladesh Agri. Uni., 7(1), 193-204.
- Haniffa M.A., Benziger P.S.A., Arockiaraj A.J., Nagarajan M. and Siby P. (2007)., Breeding behavior and embryonic development of Koi Carp (Cyprinuscarpio)., Taiwania., 52(1), 93-99.
- Bichi A.H., Isyaku S., Danba E.P., Kurawa I.A. and Nayawo A.A. (2014)., Effect of brood stock size on egg fertilization, hatchability and fry survival rate of african catfish (Clariasgariepinus)., Bajopas, 7(2), 150-154.
- Balon E.K. (1995)., The common carp, Cyprinus carpio: its wild origin, domestication in aquaculture, and selection as colored nishikigoi., Guelph ichthyology reviews, 3, 1-55.
- Chakraborty B.K. (2004)., Studies on the artificial propagation, larval rearing and culture of local sarpunti (Puntiussarana), dissertation., Department of Fisheries Management, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, 321.
- Mihalache A., Opre A.L., Grecu I., Cristea V., Badalan C., Enache I. and Ion S. (2011)., Artificial reproduction and embryonic development of the Japanese ornamental carp (Cyprinuscarpio Linnaeus, 1758)., J. Environ. Protec. Ecol., 12(4), 1835-1839.
- Shoaib M. and Nasir M. (2013). Study on the embryonic and larval development of Cirrhinamrigila (F. Hamilton, 1822) in response of differential dosage of ovaprim. Int. J. Biol. Res., 1(2), 95-103., undefined, undefined
- Thépot V. and Jerry D.R. (2015)., The effect of temperature on the embryonic development of barramundi, the Australian strain of Latescalcarifer (Bloch) using current hatchery practices., Aquacult.Reports, 2, 132-138.
- Udit U.K., Reddy A.K., Kumar P., Rather M.A., Das R. and Singh D.K. (2014)., Induced breeding, embryonic and larval development of critically endangered fish Puntiussarana (Hamilton, 1822) under captive condition., J. Anim. Plant Sci., 24(1), 159-166.
- Ferosekhan S., Sahoo S.K., Giri S.S., Saha A. and Paramanik M. (2015)., Embryonic and Larval Development of Yellow Tail Catfish., Pangasiuspangasius. J.Aquac. Res. Development, 6, 6.