Application of microwave-assisted vacuum frying on frying apple slices
- 1State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, 214122 Wuxi, Jiangsu, China
- 2State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, 214122 Wuxi, Jiangsu, China and International Joint Laboratory on Food Safety, Jiangnan University, Jiangnan University, China
- 3State Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing 100190, China
- 4State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, 214122 Wuxi, Jiangsu, China
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 13-22, May,10 (2018)
Microwave combined with vacuum frying (MVF) of apple slices was studied experimentally. Apple slices were fried using MVF and Vacuum frying (VF) technologies, and three microwaves (MW) power levels (800, 900 and 1000 W) were used for frying up to 14 min. The effect of frying time and MW power on moisture content, oil uptake, textural crispness and color parameters was measured and analyzed. The MW power significantly increased the moisture evaporation rate, reduced the oil uptake, increased the hardness and produced more desirable yellow color compared to VF. With increasing the MW power, the moisture evaporation rates increased significantly and at the same time MVF reduced the oil uptake compared with VF. The crispiness and yellowish color of the apple slices increased with increasing MW power and frying time respectively. Results revealed that the MW application is one of the foremost determinants that induce the quality frying of apple slices and improve the frying rate. Therefore, MVF is a helpful and promising method to intensify the frying process.
- Zhao P., Liu F., Li Y.-M. and Cai L. (2016)., Inferring phylogeny and speciation of Gymnosporangium species, and their coevolution with host plants., Scientific reports, 6, 29339.
- Bi J.-f., Wang X., Chen Q.-q., Liu X., Wu X.-y., Wang Q., Lv J. and Yang A.-j. (2015)., Evaluation indicators of explosion puffing Fuji apple chips quality from different Chinese origins., LWT-Food Science and Technology, 60 (2), 1129-1135.
- Kitinoja L., Saran S., Roy S.K. and Kader A.A. (2011)., Postharvest technology for developing countries: challenges and opportunities in research, outreach and advocacy., Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 91(4), 597-603.
- Bi J., Yang A., Liu X., Wu X., Chen Q., Wang Q., Lv J. and Wang X. (2015)., Effects of pretreatments on explosion puffing drying kinetics of apple chips., LWT-Food Science and Technology, 60(2), 1136-1142.
- Kaur R., Gul K. and Singh A. (2016)., Nutritional impact of ohmic heating on fruits and vegetables-A review., Cogent Food & Agriculture, 2(1), 1159000.
- Yamsaengsung R., Ariyapuchai T. and Prasertsit K. (2011)., Effects of vacuum frying on structural changes of bananas., Journal of Food Engineering, 106(4), 298-305.
- Da Silva P.F. and Moreira R.G. (2008)., Vacuum frying of high-quality fruit and vegetable-based snacks., LWT-Food Science and Technology, 41(10), 1758-1767.
- Mariscal M. and Bouchon P. (2008)., Comparison between atmospheric and vacuum frying of apple slices., Food chemistry, 107(4), 1561-1569.
- Maity T., Bawa A. and Raju P. (2014)., Effect of vacuum frying on changes in quality attributes of jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) bulb slices., International journal of food science, 2314-5765.
- García-Segovia P., Urbano-Ramos A., Fiszman S. and Martínez-Monzó J. (2016)., Effects of processing conditions on the quality of vacuum fried cassava chips (Manihot esculenta Crantz)., LWT-Food Science and Technology, 69, 515-521.
- Gharachorloo M., Ghavami M., Mahdiani M. and Azizinezhad R. (2010)., The effects of microwave frying on physicochemical properties of frying and sunflower oils., Journal of the American Oil Chemists
- Datta A.K. and Davidson P.M. (2000)., Microwave and radio frequency processing., Journal of food science, 65 (s8), 32-41.
- Jambrak A.R. (2012)., Application of high power ultrasound and microwave in food processing: Extraction., Food Processing & Technology, 3-12.
- Sumnu G. and Sahin S. (2005)., Recent developments in microwave heating., Emerging technologies for food processing, 419-444.
- Meda V., Orsat V., Raghavan G., Schubert H. and Regier M. (2005)., Microwave heating and the dielectric properties of foods., The microwave processing of foods, 61-75.
- Latimer G.W. (2012)., Official methods of analysis of AOAC International., AOAC international.
- Su Y., Zhang M. and Zhang W. (2015)., Effect of low temperature on the microwave-assisted vacuum frying of potato chips., Drying Technology, 34(2), 227-234.
- Bravo J., Sanjuán N., Ruales J. and Mulet A. (2009)., Modeling the dehydration of apple slices by deep fat frying., Drying Technology, 27(6), 782-786.
- Shyu S.-L. and Hwang L.S. (2001)., Effects of processing conditions on the quality of vacuum fried apple chips., Food Research International, 34(2), 133-142.
- Quan X., Zhang, M., Zhang W. and Adhikari B. (2014)., Effect of Microwave-Assisted Vacuum Frying on the Quality of Potato Chips., Drying Technology, 32(15), 1812-1819.
- Ramaswamy H. and Tang J. (2008)., Microwave and radio frequency heating., Revista de Agaroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos, 14(5), 423-427.
- Su Y., Zhang M., Zhang W., Adhikari B. and Yang Z. (2016)., Application of novel microwave-assisted vacuum frying to reduce the oil uptake and improve the quality of potato chips., LWT-Food Science and Technology, 73, 490-497.
- Ouchon P. and Pyle D. (2004)., Studying oil absorption in restructured potato chips., Journal of food science, 69(3), E115-E122.
- Andrés-Bello A., García-Segovia P. and Martínez-Monzó J. (2011)., Vacuum frying: An alternative to obtain high-quality dried products., Food Engineering Reviews, 3(2), 63.
- Su Y., Zhang M., Fang Z. and Zhang W. (2017)., Analysis of dehydration kinetics, status of water and oil distribution of microwave-assisted vacuum frying potato chips combined with NMR and confocal laser scanning microscopy., Food Research International, 101, 188-197.
- Su Y., Zhang M., Zhang W., Adhikari B. and Yang Z. (2016)., Application of novel microwave-assisted vacuum frying to reduce the oil uptake and improve the quality of potato chips., LWT - Food Science and Technology, 73, 490-497.
- Bai-Ngew S., Therdthai N. and Dhamvithee P. (2011)., Characterization of microwave vacuum-dried durian chips., Journal of Food Engineering, 104(1), 114-122.
- Dueik V. and Bouchon P. (2011)., Vacuum frying as a route to produce novel snacks with desired quality attributes according to new health trends., Journal of food science, 76(2), E188-E195.
- Krokida M., Oreopoulou V., Maroulis Z. and Marinos-Kouris D. (2001)., Colour changes during deep fat frying., Journal of Food Engineering, 48(3), 219-225.