Phytodiversity assessment of Sola Reserve Forest, Charaideo district, Assam, India
- 1Department of Botany, Swahid Peoli Phukan College, Namti, Namtidole, Sivasagar, Assam, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (4), Pages 1-6, April,10 (2018)
Assam is one of the hotspot regions of India. The biodiversity of Assam is decreasing very fast. For the proper assessment of biodiversity and its speed of extinction, it is necessary to have periodic data collection on the number of species and general census of each on some representative sites. Sola reserve forest is an evergreen rain forest, and it lies between 94o8/-94o4/east longitude and 26o7/-27o2/north latitude and an altitude of 110M. Due to ONGCL. Drilling operation forest area is decreasing very fast and the soil is polluted. During survey numbers of species have been come under endemic and endangered species listed in IUCN Red Data Book. From these, Alpinia galanga, Clerodendron coleobrookianum, Smilax macrophyla, Gnetum gnemon, G. latifolium, Calamus floribundus etc. are wild vegetables and some are medicinal. Aquillaria agalocha yield a variety of perfume, Magnolia grifithii and M. gustavii are wood for furniture, were found endangered. So, conservation of the forest is necessary to keep biodiversity and get rid of global warming.
- Kanjilal U.N., Kanjilal P.C. and Das A. (1934)., 1940. Flora of Assam., I-IV, Calcutta: Government of Assam.
- Sharma J.N. (1978)., Flora of Sibsagar district Assam., Ph.D. Thesis Guahati University.
- Islam M. (1996)., Weeds of Northeast India., The Assam Paper industry, Tinsukia.
- Islam M. (1981)., On the occurrence and distribution of epiphytes in the tea fields of Assam., Proc. Nat. Acad, Sci., 51(B), 153-156.
- Gogoi M. and Islam M. (2006)., Life-forms and Biological spectrum of the flora of Charaideo sub-division, Assam., Adv. Plant. Sci., 19(1), 117-119.
- Jain S.K. and Rao R.R. (1976)., A hand book of field and herbarium methods., Today and Tomorrow publication, New Delhi.
- Ambasht R.S. and Ambasht N.K. (1988)., A Text book of plant ecology., Students friends & Co. Varanasi.
- Misra K.C. (1989)., Manual of plant Ecology., Oxford and IBH publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd.