Efficacy of chemical, botanical and biological for the management of Alternaria leaf spot disease of radish
- 1Department of Plant Pathology, Agriculture and Forestry University, Rampur, Nepal
- 2Nepal Polytechnique Institute, Purbanchal University, Bharatpur, Nepal
- 3Department of Plant Pathology, Agriculture and Forestry University, Rampur, Nepal
- 4Department of Plant Pathology, Agriculture and Forestry University, Rampur, Nepal
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 1-6, August,8 (2018)
An experiment was conducted to evaluate the effect of different treatments viz. SAAF (mancozeb + carbendazim) (1%, 0.01% and 0.001%), Acorouscalamus root extract (1%, 0.5% and 0.25%) and Trichodermaharzianum extracted from local soil media and two radish varieties (Mino Early and Pyuthaney Rato) against Alternaria leaf spot disease (Alternariabrassicae) of radish in lab of Department of Plant Pathology AFU, Chitwan, Nepal during 2016. Poison food technique and dual culture technique was used to identify the efficacy of the treatments. The best check of mycelial growth of Alternariabrassicae was done by SAAF @ 0.1% which was followed by SAAF @ 0.01% and 0.001% respectively. Highest growth inhibition of the mycelium i.e. 93.65% was shown by SAAF @ 0.1% at the end of the investigation. The best control (31.94%) of the mycelium growth of the Alternariabrassicae was provided by Acorouscalamus root extract @ 1% on PDA which was statically at par with 0.5% of concentration inhibiting pathogen by 29.41%. Highest growth was observed in control. Result from the dual culture showed that at 4 days of incubation the Trichodermaharzianum. Completely covered the plate (8.9 cm) and Alternariabrassicae was limited within 2.30 cm diameter of colony size.
- CBS (2010)., Central Bureau of Statics., Nepal Vegetable Crop Survey 2009-10. Thapathali, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- VDD (2014)., Vegetable Development Directorate., Annual progress report of the vegetable, potato, and spices development program (in Nepali), Vegetable Development Directorate, Khumaltar, Lalitpur, Nepal, 120-130.
- HVAP (2011)., A Report on Value Chain Analysis of Vegetable seeds in Nepal: High Value Agriculture Project in Hill and Mountain Areas., [accessed in 2015 March 20]. http://www.hvap.gov.np
- Abul-Fazal M.O.H.D., Khan M.I. and Saxena S.K. (1994)., The incidence of Alternaria species in different cultivars of cabbage and cauliflower seeds., Indian Phytopathology, 47(4), 419-421.
- Verma P.R. and Saharan G.S. (1994)., Monograph on Alternaria diseases of crucifers., Research Branch, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- Shrestha S.K. and Chaudhary R.N. (1999)., Survival of Alternariabrassicae in seeds of rapeseed-mustard stored in different containers in the farmers' storage conditions., In Proc. of III National Conference on Science and Technology, 1076-1081.
- Shrestha K.K. (1990)., Major disease of vegetable crops in Nepal (In Nepali)., FAO Fresh Vegetable and Seed Production Projects, Vegetable Development Division, Khumaltar, Lalitpur, Nepal, 15-22.
- Shrestha K.K. (1996)., Major disease of vegetable crops in Nepal (In Nepali)., FAO Fresh Vegetable and Seed Production Projects, Vegetable Development Division, Khumaltar, Lalitpur, Nepal, 122.
- Shrestha S.K., Munk L. and Mathur S.B. (2005)., Role of weather on Alternaria leaf blight disease and its effect on yield and yield components of mustard., Nepal Agriculture Research Journal, 6, 62-72.
- Prasad R. (2006)., Management of alternaria blight of mustard with combination of chemicals and botanicals., Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 14(2), 400-403.
- Namanda S., Olanya O.M., Adipala E., Hakiza J.J., El-Bedewy R., Baghsari A.S. and Ewell P. (2004)., Fungicide application and host-resistance for potato late blight management: benefits assessment from on-farm studies in SW Uganda., Crop Protection, 23(11), 1075-1083.
- Kirk P.M., Cannon P.F., Minter D.W. and Stalpers J.A. (2008)., Dictionary of the Fungi CABI., Wallingford, UK, 396.
- Tisdale S.L. and Nelson W.L. (1958)., Soil fertility and fertilizers., Macmillan Company.; New York.
- Elad Y., Chet I. and Henis Y. (1981)., A selective medium for improving quantitative isolation of Trichoderma spp. from soil., Phytoparasitica, 9(1), 59-67.
- Kumar P. and Singh S. (2017)., In Vitro Evaluation of Fungicides and Plant Extract against Alternaria solani (Ellis) Causing Early Blight in Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.)., Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci, 6(9), 820-827.
- Raziq F.A.Z.L.I. and Ishtiaq S.A.N.A. (2010)., Integrated control of Alternariasolani with Trichodermaspp and fungicides under in vitro conditions., Sarhad J Agric, 26(4), 613-619.
- Babu S., Seetharaman K., Nandakumar R. and Johnson I. (2000)., Fungitoxic properties of some plant extracts against Alternariasolani, the tomato leaf blight pathogen., Journal of Ecotoxicology and Environmental Monitoring, 10(2), 157-159.
- Prasad Y. and Naik M.K. (2003)., Evaluation of genotypes, fungicides and plant extracts against early blight of tomato caused by Alternaria solani., Indian Journal of plant protection, 31(2), 49-53.
- Kumar P., Prajapati C.R. and Singh D.V. (2006)., Efficacy of some fungitoxicants against Alternaria brassicae causing Alternaria blight of radish., Indian Journal of Plant Pathology, 24(1/2), 29.
- Chijamo K. and Daiho L. (2014)., In Vitro Evaluation of Botanicals, Bio-Agents and Fungicides against Leaf Blight of Etlingeralinguiformis Caused by Curvularialunata Var. Aeria., Journal of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, 5(3).
- Vadivel S. and Ebenezar E.G. (2006)., Eco-friendly management of leaf blight of tomato caused by Alternaria solani., J Mycol Pl Pathol, 36, 79-83.
- Rawal P., Adhikari R.S., Danu K. and Tiwari A. (2015)., Antifungal activity of Acorus calamus against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. Lycopersii., International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 4, 710-715.
- Pal K.K. and Gardener B.M. (2006)., Biological control of plant pathogens., The plant health instructor, 2, 1117-1142.
- Khan M.M. (2012)., Role of different microbial-origin bioactive antifungal compounds against Alternaria spp. causing leaf blight of mustard., Plant Pathology Journal.
- Harman G.E., Howell C.R., Viterbo A., Chet I. and Lorito M. (2004)., Trichoderma species-opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts., Nature reviews microbiology, 2(1), 43-56.
- Jegathambigai V., Wijeratnam R.W. and Wijesundera R.L. C. (2009)., Trichoderma as a seed treatment to control Helminthosporium leaf spot disease of Chrysalidocarpus lutescens., World Journal of Agricultural sciences, 5, 720-728.